Is Lockdown for 21 days in India started working ?
On 11 March 2020, WHO declared Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak as a pandemic. As of 28th March 2020 (5:45 PM), according to the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt of India, a total of 909 COVID-19 cases have been reported. These include 79 who have been cured or discharged, 1 who has migrated and 19 reported deaths. Hospital isolation of all confirmed cases, tracing and home quarantine of the contacts is ongoing.
On 24 March 2020, the Prime Minister announced a 21-day nationwide lockdown. Dr Henk Bekedam, WHO Representative to India says, ‘‘India stands at an important turning point in its fight against COVID-19. Extraordinary situations demand extraordinary measures. The Prime Minister has taken bold and decisive steps to break the chain of transmission. It is equally vital that this window is used for further ramping up measures to find, isolate, test, treat and trace. WHO stands together in solidarity with India and its people and is committed to providing all the support that is needed.’’
The statistics after lockdown started, is giving some ray of hope.
1. March 21st– 283 cases, March 22nd– 396 cases, Increase by 39.92 %
2. March 22nd– 396 cases, March 23rd– 468 cases, Increase by 18.18 %
3. March 23rd– 468 cases, March 24th– 566 cases, Increase by 23.43 %
4. March 24th– 566 cases, March 25th– 645 cases, Increase by 13.95 %
5. March 25th– 645 cases, March 26th– 720 cases, Increase by 11.62 %
6. March 26th– 720 cases, March 27th– 886 cases, Increase by just 12.30 %
7. March 27th– 886 cases, March 28th– 933 cases, Increase by just 5.31 % (as of now from covid19india.org, at 5 pm 28th March 2020)
Is Lockdown working? Its too early to say something. But, the rate of increasement has declined and probably the situation is getting stable.
So, please stay at home and aware others to stay Home as well.